Finally,the first Technical post on my blog, for, there seems to be lot of demand for this particular tweak.
Reliance Netconnect CDMA1x USB modems – ZTE MG880, manufactured by ZTE, “supposedly” come supported only for M$ Windows , but, I have got it working on GNU/Linux OS – Ubuntu with help from various online forums.
Additional Prerequisites in Ubuntu (I’m running 9.04):
- modprobe – program which intelligently adds and removes modules from the Linux Kernel. To get this program,generic kernel modules have to be added to the kernel by running the following command in the terminal.
sudo apt-get install linux-generic
- wvdial -It is a PPP dialer with built-in intelligence (Previous distros of Ubuntu used to have this packaged). To get this program do an apt-get
$dmesg (don’t bother about the elaborate o/p after executing this command)
3.Now, execute the next command and look for ZTE and the corresponding device id and vendor id.
I found these for my modem(it’s the same for most ZTE mg880) -vendor id:0x19d2; product id: 0xfffd
4. Next, perform a modprobe to make the kernel aware of the modem
$sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfffd
5. After modprobe, run a dmesg again,and if the modem has been detected there will be a message saying that the USB core driver has been registered
6.Next, comes configuring the wvdial. To do this, run the following command
To detect the modem wvdial will scan through all the serial ports, check the baud rates and give a message with the optimum baud rate and the port on which modem has been detected.
7. Now comes editing the wvdial config.
$sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
Edit the contents to:
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = #777
#username and password is your modem’s phone number
ISDN = 0
SetVolume = 0
FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Dial Command = ATDT
Baud = 9600
#Baud rate might vary
Stupid Mode = 1
sir i am hari g.k agen palacode the data card number is not working sir 9367722780,
Hi Hari. Could you post the error message you are getting?